Friday, February 26, 2010

One person makes the difference

I was waiting for the bus at school last week, and I saw a lady with a stroller trying to get in the bus. As fifteen students or more stared at her, she struggled to lift the stroller up. What shocked me the most, is that everyone was watching and no one was helping. Not even the bus driver. I was at the end of the line to get in the bus, so I went to the front and helped the lady lift the stroller up. I was disappointed that no one else came up. Three other guys and I got in the same bus. I went to the very back, and watched, once more, that when the lady was going to get out, no one stood up to help her. So I did the same thing I did at first, I helped her to carry the stroller. I almost wanted to tell the other three guys something. What was wrong with them?? I mean, they were three strong, men students! Not one was even gentlemen enough to help.

Anyway, it made me think about my psychology class, when there was a chapter in the book about responsibility. I don't remember the author of this certain responsibility theory, but it stated that the more people present in a situation, the less responsibility each one of them felt. So probably everyone at the bus stop and in the bus was thinking: "someone else will help, there are so many people to do it". Because of this, I should not misjudge them. But I still have something to say: If you are in a situation like this, it doesn't have to be an accident or something caotic, just every day things, stand up. Do something. Because one person makes the difference.

One of the best things about helping (but shouldn't be the only reason why you do so) is when the person you helped says thank you. It really makes you feel better. Even if the person does not say thank you, you still feel like you've done something right. I assure you, with one little action, you can change a person's life. You can change a person's day. I wonder if the lady, after leaving the bus thought to herself: "I'm glad this person helped me", because I know, when I was a nanny in Germany, that I felt the same way when someone helped me carry the stroller up the bus. And that person would make my day.

2 comments:

  1. annie,
    i totally agree and it also makes me so angry when people are like that!!! (guys especially, they need to wake up!) i couldn't believe when i was pregnant with santiago and in a long line and no one would let me go first; or when at church or somewhere and no one would give me their seat... and when they did it also made my day, but didn't happen often.. anyways, guys, chivalry still exists!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sista!
    I know, it can be maddening sometimes. But I guess we have to be patient, some people have their reasons, maybe they're too shy or don't even notice.
    I think though, that helping someone that needs it more than you (like giving you a seat if you're pregnant) is important.
    The good thing is that loving people make the difference, and when you know how it feels to be helped when YOU need it, it is easier for you to be in the shoes of another person when he or she needs it.

    ReplyDelete