Monday, November 29, 2010

You don’t need a lot of money to travel

I know what you’re thinking: Yeah right!

But it’s true! Let me explain why. Although traveling does require a certain amount of money, it shouldn’t necessarily be a monstrous cipher. If you want to be treated as a queen and stay in luxurious hotels, yes, it will be expensive. If what you really want is to see the world, to experience adventure in the most unimaginable ways, and have some crazy fun while meeting new people and new places, money will not stop you from traveling.


I was talking to a girl in my Intercultural Communications class (back in March), and she told me she grew up in a modest home, without fancy clothes or sophisticated furniture. She was used to that, and didn’t crave a sophisticated living, but she said she had always wanted to travel. She saved money during high school, and upon graduating went on a trip to Europe and Asia. She later found a job in a travel agency. She said people asked her how she could afford to travel so much (she had visited more than 30 countries). The answer is simple, she explained, “I look at the other people and ask: ‘how can you afford the clothes you’re wearing?’” While some people spend their money on nice furniture, decorations, and brand-name clothes, this girl would rather spend her money on life experiences and traveling.

It makes sense to me because I am the same way. I saved some money to pay for my flight to Germany (which was like 500 US dollars), and took an extra 300 for other expenses. I was actually working as an Aupair, so I did have some income every month. Oh, did I use that money. Some of my fellow Aupair friends would send money back to their families, whereas I spent all the money I earned. It sounds bad, and maybe selfish from my part, but the way I thought is: if I’m in Germany I should take advantage of it and travel! It’s a lifetime chance; I didn’t come to save money, but to spend it on experiencing new places. The truth is I didn’t really travel all over Europe or all over the world, but I did get to see some of the most amazing places. Other than traveling in Germany, I visited Paris, Rome, and the Austrian Alps. It wasn’t so easy to travel while having a job, because I could only travel weekends (and one-week vacations). I couldn’t really see much in one weekend, and it would be very fast-paced so that I could be back to work on time. Most times I didn’t even have anyone to go with.

But it didn’t stop me from looking for adventure and traveling.


If it’s your dream to travel, pursue it. I’m sure you’ll find a way. I have a few suggestions, but you can always come up with great ideas according to your circumstances and what you like. You can save some money and do a mini-trip to anywhere you want. Nowadays there are many economic packages that include flight and hotel, some even itinerary. Even if the place is far, you can find pretty good deals. For example, I’ve seen flights from New York to Paris that are cheaper than New York to Texas. You just have to look. Other suggestions are looking for internships, volunteer work, and/or Aupair programs. From these three, you won’t have the freedom of going wherever you want, whenever you want to. Yet I can assure you, that you will get amazing life experiences from them, while being abroad and learning about  a different culture. My last, but not least suggestion is to travel as an exchange student. You don’t need to pay for a hotel, because you will live with a family, but your real family at home has to agree on receiving another student in your place.


So don’t let money stop you from going after your dream! Go for the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment